What is SearchForWords app?
SearchForWords app is an intrusive ad-supported application which has been categorized as PUP and Adware that brings users with poor online surfing experience and soddish system performance. It enters your PC by using free software packages and spam emails. If you install free with Customer Installation without canceling potentially unwanted options or open attachments from emails sent by spammer, SearchForWords app sneaks into your system without your knowledge. Once it has been installed, you will suffer from real pain because SearchForWords app keeps showing you aggressive advertisements to disrupt your browsing sessions.
Besides, you will be redirected to unknown websites which display misleading message to make you buy something you never need. Due to ads by SearchForWords app, your Internet will become so slowly that most of websites will take forever to load. Moreover, SearchForWords app can download more infections from remote server if you do not uninstall it in time. Our security lab has found that SearchForWords app connects remote adware server once your PC is launched, thus it can help many threats attack your system and bring risks to everything on your system. The worst circumstances is that SearchForWords app helps remote attacker invade your system to steal your personal files, emails, and other accounts details and then use them on scam activities to make you lose lots of money. To prevent such severe issues, you need to get rid of SearchForWords app as quickly as possible, follow the removal steps below to clean up all threats now:
How to Manually Remove SearchForWords app From Mac OSX? (Steps)
Step 1 Uninstall SearchForWords app related apps or potentially unwanted apps from Mac OSX
- In Finder window, clicking “Applications” in the sidebar
- In the applications folder, right-click on SearchForWords app related apps or other suspicious apps and click Move to Trash.
Step 2 – Remove malicious files generated by SearchForWords app or related malware from your Mac
1. Click the Finder icon from the menu bar >> choose “Go” then click on “Go to Folder“:
2. In the Go to Folder… bar, type the name of the following four folders to open them one by one:
3. In each folder, search for any recently-added suspicious files and move them to the Trash. Here are some examples of files generated by malware:
“installmac.AppRemoval.plist”, SearchForWords app”, “com.genieo.completer.download.plist” “com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist” “com.genieo.engine.plist” “com.adobe.fpsaud.plist” , “myppes.download.plist”, “mykotlerino.ltvbit.plist”,
Step 3 – Find and remove malicious extensions and browser hijacker from Safari and Chrome.
1. Start Safari: Select Safari menu and click Preferences:
2. Select Extensions tab>> Look for the unsafe or suspicious extensions and click Uninstall:
3. Select Search tab >> click the Search Engine menu and make your choice. Safari lets you use Google, Yahoo, Bing, or DuckDuckGo.
4. Select the General tab >> In the Homepage bar, type the URL you want to set as the Safari homepage.
On Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon at the top right corner >> Select More Tools and click Extensions;
2. Search for suspicious extensions and click trash icon to remove it:
3. Reset default search engine on Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon >> Select Settings
- Scroll down until you locate the Search engine section
- Click the drop-down menu accompanying the option labeled Search engine used in the address bar
- Select Google, Bing or Yahoo! as your default search engine.
4. Reset homepage on Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon >> Select Settings;
- In the “On Startup” section, click the “Set pages” link near to the “Open a specific page or set of pages” option.
- Remove the URL of the browser hijacker (for example SearchMine.net) and enter your preferred URL (for example, google.com).
Step 4 – Re-check your Mac with Combo Clean Antivirus.
To be sure that your Mac is not infected at all, it’s recommended to run a full scan with Combo Cleaner Antivirus.
Combo Cleaner Antivirus is a professional Mac Antivirus and Mac OSX Optimization Tool for users. It is equipped with powerful detection engine against virus, malware, and adware. Thus it is able to protect your machine from the latest out-breaking threats and infections. Moreover, its Disk Cleaner can detect and clean up all junks and always keep your Mac’s performance at the peak.
Once Combo Cleaner is installed, run a scan to diagnose your Mac and solve all problems: