Rogue Properties of StartEssentials
StartEssentials is Adware created to benefit its affiliated third parties websites via intrusive marketing method. Developer of StartEssentials uses this adware to drive visitors traffic to partners’ websites by hijacking the commonly used web browsers like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and generating annoying advertisements. In return, the developer will earn ads commissions from affiliated partners due to Pay-Per-Click ads.
Most of victims have no idea how their PCs get infected by StartEssentials, in fact, the infiltration of StartEssentials is associated with their heedless online activities. For instance, when PC users install some free-download software, some Potentially Unwanted Programs like StartEssentials will be installed without their knowledge if they select the default “Typical Install”. Actually, adware and rogueware now are mainly bundled with free programs, it’s recommended to select “custom installation” when installing free programs, so as to prevent invading of harmful and rogue programs. Besides, when PC users visit hijacker websites or porn websites, rogueware can sneak into their PCs once they click on links or popups on those suspicious pages.
If you have unintentionally installed StartEssentials on your PC, there will be tons of ads presenting on websites you visit to draw your attention and gets your clicks. StartEssentials is able to distribute various forms of ads, for example, it inserts ads on random underlined keyword on your browsing page, generates banner ads at top area of your page, displays pop-up ads at corners of your screen and forwards video ads in your media player.
The primary purpose of StartEssentials is make quick money by boosting affiliated websites’ traffic with ads. But this is not the only harmful things you may suffer from. It is also associated with privacy issue, StartEssentials and associated rogueware will lead to leak of personal information. It is able to collect your computer information like Operating System, IP address, search queries, mostly viewed websites, and more; and get your sensitive information like email address, phone number, and even account details saved on browsers. By collecting these information, StartEssentials and bundled rogueware may share your info with third parties, then you may encounter financial loss since some cyber criminal will scam you according your information. If ads by StartEssentials are displaying everywhere on your browser, we recommend you to look through this quick guide that will assist you to delete it from your computer easily.
How to Manually Remove StartEssentials From Mac OSX? (Steps)
Step 1 Uninstall StartEssentials related apps or potentially unwanted apps from Mac OSX
- In Finder window, clicking “Applications” in the sidebar
- In the applications folder, right-click on StartEssentials related apps or other suspicious apps and click Move to Trash.
Step 2 – Remove malicious files generated by StartEssentials or related malware from your Mac
1. Click the Finder icon from the menu bar >> choose “Go” then click on “Go to Folder“:
2. In the Go to Folder… bar, type the name of the following four folders to open them one by one:
3. In each folder, search for any recently-added suspicious files and move them to the Trash. Here are some examples of files generated by malware:
“installmac.AppRemoval.plist”, StartEssentials”, “com.genieo.completer.download.plist” “com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist” “com.genieo.engine.plist” “com.adobe.fpsaud.plist” , “myppes.download.plist”, “mykotlerino.ltvbit.plist”,
Step 3 – Find and remove malicious extensions and browser hijacker from Safari and Chrome.
1. Start Safari: Select Safari menu and click Preferences:
2. Select Extensions tab>> Look for the unsafe or suspicious extensions and click Uninstall:
3. Select Search tab >> click the Search Engine menu and make your choice. Safari lets you use Google, Yahoo, Bing, or DuckDuckGo.
4. Select the General tab >> In the Homepage bar, type the URL you want to set as the Safari homepage.
On Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon at the top right corner >> Select More Tools and click Extensions;
2. Search for suspicious extensions and click trash icon to remove it:
3. Reset default search engine on Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon >> Select Settings
- Scroll down until you locate the Search engine section
- Click the drop-down menu accompanying the option labeled Search engine used in the address bar
- Select Google, Bing or Yahoo! as your default search engine.
4. Reset homepage on Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon >> Select Settings;
- In the “On Startup” section, click the “Set pages” link near to the “Open a specific page or set of pages” option.
- Remove the URL of the browser hijacker (for example SearchMine.net) and enter your preferred URL (for example, google.com).
Step 4 – Re-check your Mac with Combo Clean Antivirus.
To be sure that your Mac is not infected at all, it’s recommended to run a full scan with Combo Cleaner Antivirus.
Combo Cleaner Antivirus is a professional Mac Antivirus and Mac OSX Optimization Tool for users. It is equipped with powerful detection engine against virus, malware, and adware. Thus it is able to protect your machine from the latest out-breaking threats and infections. Moreover, its Disk Cleaner can detect and clean up all junks and always keep your Mac’s performance at the peak.
Once Combo Cleaner is installed, run a scan to diagnose your Mac and solve all problems: