SmartTechLookup can be considered as an adware which is used by its developer to elicit money from users’ behaviors. It mainly releases tens of thousands of ads to lure you to click target sits or to download some freeware so that it can get commission from your behavior. As ads by SmartTechLookup are various in forms, including banner ads, pop-up ads, in-text ads, video ads, sound ads, etc., users will not easily figure out if it is ads from suspicious application.
How does SmartTechLookup can make such delicate ads to attempt the you to fall into its trick? It is mostly made with the content which is spied on from your online activities. Along this line, you will believe in this ads easily. But later, you get more are more suspicious items on your PC which can destroy your PC together. In the other hand, your personal information and data are also at risk.
SmartTechLookup comes into your PC by means of pore websites, spam email, freeware installer and fake software update links. If you want to use your PC connecting the net, all these items cannot be avoided. For example, when you visit some suspicious sites, you may be dazzled with so many ads on these web and you are eager to close the window, while when you click the “close” button, it links you to bring in adware or virus. it is evitable because it is the only way to close the sites. Therefore, we will just advise you to take you time to get SmartTechLookup deleted. Following is the guides.
How to Manually Remove SmartTechLookup From Mac OSX? (Steps)
Step 1 Uninstall SmartTechLookup related apps or potentially unwanted apps from Mac OSX
- In Finder window, clicking “Applications” in the sidebar
- In the applications folder, right-click on SmartTechLookup related apps or other suspicious apps and click Move to Trash.
Step 2 – Remove malicious files generated by SmartTechLookup or related malware from your Mac
1. Click the Finder icon from the menu bar >> choose “Go” then click on “Go to Folder“:
2. In the Go to Folder… bar, type the name of the following four folders to open them one by one:
3. In each folder, search for any recently-added suspicious files and move them to the Trash. Here are some examples of files generated by malware:
“installmac.AppRemoval.plist”, SmartTechLookup”, “com.genieo.completer.download.plist” “com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist” “com.genieo.engine.plist” “com.adobe.fpsaud.plist” , “myppes.download.plist”, “mykotlerino.ltvbit.plist”,
Step 3 – Find and remove malicious extensions and browser hijacker from Safari and Chrome.
1. Start Safari: Select Safari menu and click Preferences:
2. Select Extensions tab>> Look for the unsafe or suspicious extensions and click Uninstall:
3. Select Search tab >> click the Search Engine menu and make your choice. Safari lets you use Google, Yahoo, Bing, or DuckDuckGo.
4. Select the General tab >> In the Homepage bar, type the URL you want to set as the Safari homepage.
On Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon at the top right corner >> Select More Tools and click Extensions;
2. Search for suspicious extensions and click trash icon to remove it:
3. Reset default search engine on Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon >> Select Settings
- Scroll down until you locate the Search engine section
- Click the drop-down menu accompanying the option labeled Search engine used in the address bar
- Select Google, Bing or Yahoo! as your default search engine.
4. Reset homepage on Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click the “Customize and control Google Chrome” icon >> Select Settings;
- In the “On Startup” section, click the “Set pages” link near to the “Open a specific page or set of pages” option.
- Remove the URL of the browser hijacker (for example SearchMine.net) and enter your preferred URL (for example, google.com).
Step 4 – Re-check your Mac with SpyHunter Mac Antimalware.
To be sure that your Mac is not infected at all, it’s recommended to run a full scan with SpyHunter .
SpyHunter Mac Antimalware is a professional Mac Antivirus and Mac OSX Optimization Tool for users. It is equipped with powerful detection engine against virus, malware, and adware. Thus it is able to protect your machine from the latest out-breaking threats and infections.
– Once SpyHunter Mac Antimalware is downloaded, double-click SpyHunter-1.2-15-7043-Installer.dmg to install it:
– Once SpyHunter is launched, please run a scan to diagnose entire Mac and remove all detected malware: